Monday, October 08, 2007

Around the World in Seven Days


I thought that this post's title would be a good choice to tie in all the weird pictures I have to share this week. I'm only posting them now, instead of my usual Sunday, because I am just getting over the flu! Yuck. I have only eaten bananas, toast with vegan margarine (I like Soy Garden), a few handfuls of cereal (not good, since it had sugar on it), and Ginger Ale (never thought till now why it's good for you when you're sick - the ginger is good for nausea!).
Anyhoo, talking about being sick isn't a good way to being a food post :P

The first picture here is Dreena's Gingered Pear Crisp, from Vive le Vegan. I can't believe it took me over a year to get around to making this! It is incredibly easy and soooo yummy. Not too sweet, but just right. Perfect for the fall. My only change next time would be more topping, and make it crispier. I made this for my school's monthly staff breakfast, and it was gone pretty quickly! I also made an apple crisp of Isa's, but I had the same complaint - not enough topping! I tried to make it crispier with vegan margarine (the apple, not the pear one), but it only helped slightly. You see, growing up Yankees, my family had the BEST apple crisp around, and still does (living almost next door to Johnny Appleseed's birthplace didn't hurt, either!). Unfortunately, the recipe calls for a TON of butter and sugar in the base and especially the topping. I will be working on a vegan apple crisp recipe for Thanksgiving! Oh - it's coming so soon!

Then, we decided that we needed something a little different, and went to get some Thai flavors from coconut milk and peanuts in this dish, Tempeh with Coconut-Peanut Sauce from Veg News. Yum, yum, yum! Very creamy sauce and no big coconut flavor, for those that worry about coconut milk in recipes. It just makes them creamy and delish! Sorry for this somewhat closeup photo, but if you see the next one (which I took with no flash, as suggested by another blogger), it sucked even more.

I steamed some broccoli as a side dish and the sauce was perfect on top! I can't eat steamed veggies plain. Raw, yes, but not steamed...











Last, we have Chole that my husband (gotta' think of a screen name for him - suggestions??) actually whipped up, this time from India. It was so damned good I had to get a photo. The picture isn't that great because I didn't have time to plate it before he scarfed it down, but trust me it was good! He used an authentic recipe from a very old site I was given by a friend back in college (the friend was Indian). Here is the link for you - happy eating - wherever you want to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope that today you feel better!!


the food looks great and yummy. i love the title of the post!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ahh, I do hope you recover from the flu quite soon!! I'm just now feeling better myself.

I have that crisp recipe marked in my copy of Vive; I definitely need to make it now!

ooh, the tempeh with the peanut/coconut sauce looks sensational as well :0)